Cranberry-Poached Pears With Whipped Cream And Shortbread Crumbles
featured in Fancy 3-Course Holiday Party
for 6 servings
- 4 cups apple juice (960 mL)
- 15 oz cranberry sauce (425 g), 1 can
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 pears, ripe but firm, peeled, halved, and cored
- 1 cup heavy cream (240 mL), chilled
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 shortbread cookies, store-bought
- Calories 511
- Fat 25g
- Carbs 78g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugar 58g
- Protein 3g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a blender, puree the apple juice, cranberry sauce, and salt until smooth.
- Pour the juice into a 4-quart jumbo cooker, add the cinnamon stick, and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Add the pears to the simmering juice, and cook, turning occasionally, until the pears are tender when pierced at the thickest part with a paring knife, 25-30 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let the pears cool completely in liquid, about 1 hour, or refrigerate in liquid for up to 2 days.
- In a large bowl, beat the heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla with an electric hand mixer until medium peaks form.
- Divide the pear halves among 6 serving bowls and top each with a dollop of whipped cream and drizzle with some of the poaching liquid. Crumble 2 cookies over each bowl and serve.