98% would make again
Creamiest Mashed Potatoes
featured in 3-Course Thanksgiving Meal
These delicious and easy-to-make corn cakes are a staple of Venezuelan cuisine. Filled with your choice of meats, cheese, or veggies, these arepas are perfect for a quick and satisfying meal any time of day.
May 15, 2023
for 4 servings
- 4 lb yukon gold potato (1.8 kg)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more to taste
- ½ cup unsalted butter (115 g), 1 stick, melted
- 1 cup heavy cream (240 mL)
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 head garlic, crushed
- butter, for serving
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- chive, finely chopped, for serving
- gravy, for serving
- Calories 805
- Fat 49g
- Carbs 92g
- Fiber 33g
- Sugar 6g
- Protein 10g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- On a cutting board, peel the potatoes. Place the potatoes in a large bowl of cold water after peeling to prevent discoloration.
- Dice the potatoes into 1-inch (2-cm) cubes.
- Add the potatoes to a large pot of cold water, along with the salt. Bring to a soft boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 12 minutes, until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander, then return to the pot. Increase the heat to medium-high and stir the potatoes around for 2-3 minutes to evaporate any excess moisture.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl and mash with a potato masher, potato ricer, or by pushing through a fine mesh sieve with a spatula.
- Add the melted butter and stir to incorporate, then season with salt to taste.
- In a small saucepan, combine the heavy cream, rosemary, and garlic. Bring to a simmer over low heat, let simmer for a few minutes, then remove the pot from the heat and strain through a fine mesh sieve.
- Gradually add the cream mixture to the potatoes, a little at a time, stirring until fully incorporated.
- Top with a pat of butter, freshly ground black pepper, and a sprinkle with chives, or gravy, if desired.
- Serve warm.