82% would make again
Creamy Tuscan Chicken Mac And Cheese
This quick and easy one-pot recipe is sure to be a dinner favorite. Chicken and pasta are smothered in a creamy, cheesy sun-dried tomato and garlic sauce. Some of the ingredients are customizable–don’t have kale? Use baby spinach. No milk? Use half and half. Throw in your favorite pasta and cheeses and enjoy this melt-in-your-mouth meal!
for 8 servings
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt (7 g), plus more for boiling pasta
- 1 lb medium shell pasta (452 g), penne or bowtie can also be used
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (14 mL), plus more for drizzling
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (1 g)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter (42 g)
- 1 cup yellow onion (150 g), finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup dry white wine (60 mL), such as Pinot Grigio
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil (55 g), julienne-style, drained
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (16 g)
- 3 cups whole milk (720 mL), or half and half
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano (2 g)
- 1 bunch tuscan kale, stemmed and sliced
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (230 g)
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese (100 g), grated
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese (55 g), plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (2.2 g), chopped
- Calories 667
- Fat 25g
- Carbs 68g
- Fiber 5g
- Sugar 16g
- Protein 42g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain, then transfer to a large bowl, toss with a drizzle of olive oil to prevent sticking, and set aside.
- Season the chicken breasts on both sides with 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the chicken and cook, flipping halfway, until golden brown on both sides and the internal temperature reaches 165°F (75°C), about 12 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and let cool slightly, then chop into ½-inch cubes.
- In the same pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened and fragrant, about 4 minutes. Carefully pour in the white wine. Scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan, then simmer until the liquid has fully evaporated, 2–3 minutes. Add the sun-dried tomatoes and stir to incorporate.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir until the vegetables are fully coated. Cook for 2 minutes, until the flour is golden brown and smells nutty. Add the milk, oregano, remaining ½ teaspoon salt, remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper, and the kale. Cook, stirring often, until the kale has wilted and the sauce has thickened slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mozzarella, white cheddar, and Parmesan cheeses and stir until fully melted and incorporated, about 2 minutes. Add the cooked pasta to the pan and stir until well coated in the sauce. Stir in the chicken.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Sprinkle the mac and cheese with the parsley and serve immediately with more Parmesan cheese for topping.