Crispy Cheesy Hash Brown Egg Bake
This hearty breakfast casserole is the perfect way to start your day. The crispy hash browns, gooey cheese, and fluffy eggs create a satisfying and flavorful dish.
Under 30 minutes
Under 30 minutes
for 6 servings
- 4 lb russet potato (1.8 kg)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese (100 g)
- ¼ cup olive oil (60 mL)
- 12 slices cheddar cheese, cut into 1x3in (2x7 cm) strips
- 12 slices deli ham, cut into 1x3in (2x7 cm) strips
- 6 large eggs
- fresh chive, chopped, for garnish
- Calories 631
- Fat 29g
- Carbs 67g
- Fiber 5g
- Sugar 3g
- Protein 27g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Grease a 9x13-inch (23x33-cm) baking dish with non-stick cooking spray
- Peel the potatoes, then shred on the large holes of a box grater. Transfer to a large bowl of water and swirl around to remove excess starch. Drain and rinse, then place the potatoes in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze until they’re completely dry.
- Add the shredded potatoes to a clean, large bowl with the salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne, onion powder, Parmesan cheese, and olive oil. Toss until fully combined.
- Transfer the potato mixture to the baking dish. Spread evenly.
- Bake for 1½ hours, or until the potatoes are tender throughout and golden brown on the top and bottom.
- Press the bottom of a glass into the potato mixture to create 6 evenly spaced wells.
- Shingle slices of cheddar cheese and ham around the wells, then crack an egg into each one.
- Bake for 15 minutes more, or until the cheese melts and the egg whites are set. The egg yolks should still be slightly soft.
- Serve and sprinkle with chives, if desired.
- Love this recipe? Download the Tasty app to save it and discover others like it.