92% would make again
Crispy Cheesy Hash Brown Egg Bake
featured in 10 Easy Egg Recipes You'll Crave Everyday
This hearty breakfast casserole is the perfect way to start your day. The crispy hash browns, gooey cheese, and fluffy eggs create a satisfying and flavorful dish.
May 05, 2023
for 6 servings
- 4 lb russet potato (1.8 kg)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese (100 g)
- ¼ cup olive oil (60 mL)
- 12 slices cheddar cheese, cut into 1x3in (2x7 cm) strips
- 12 slices deli ham, cut into 1x3in (2x7 cm) strips
- 6 large eggs
- fresh chive, chopped, for garnish
- Calories 541
- Fat 22g
- Carbs 62g
- Fiber 5g
- Sugar 3g
- Protein 23g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Grease a 9x13-inch (23x33-cm) baking dish with non-stick cooking spray
- Peel the potatoes, then shred on the large holes of a box grater. Transfer to a large bowl of water and swirl around to remove excess starch. Drain and rinse, then place the potatoes in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze until they’re completely dry.
- Add the shredded potatoes to a clean, large bowl with the salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne, onion powder, Parmesan cheese, and olive oil. Toss until fully combined.
- Transfer the potato mixture to the baking dish. Spread evenly.
- Bake for 1½ hours, or until the potatoes are tender throughout and golden brown on the top and bottom.
- Press the bottom of a glass into the potato mixture to create 6 evenly spaced wells.
- Shingle slices of cheddar cheese and ham around the wells, then crack an egg into each one.
- Bake for 15 minutes more, or until the cheese melts and the egg whites are set. The egg yolks should still be slightly soft.
- Serve and sprinkle with chives, if desired.