95% would make again
Crunchy California Roll Sushi Bowl
featured in Easy Homemade Sushi Platters
This crunchy California roll sushi bowl is perfect for a quick dinner or an easy lunch for two. Avocado, toasted bread crumbs, pickled ginger, radishes, green scallions, and cucumbers make this a colorful and beautiful meal. Top it with an easy homemade spicy aioli to perfectly balance the flavors.
Inspired by cookingclassy.com
for 2 servings
- 2 cups water (480 mL)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 cup sushi rice (200 g), rinsed until the water runs clear
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ cup rice vinegar (60 mL)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ⅓ cup panko breadcrumbs (15 g)
- ½ teaspoon pepper, plus more to taste
- ¼ cup mayonnaise (60 g)
- 1 tablespoon siracha
- 16 oz crab (455 g), 2 cans, drained
- 1 persian cucumber, thinly sliced
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons nori, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch scallion, thinly sliced on the bias
- 1 tablespoon sesame seed
- 2 tablespoons pickled ginger
- 1 avocado, diced
- Calories 1155
- Fat 46g
- Carbs 106g
- Fiber 8g
- Sugar 72g
- Protein 64g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a small pot, season the water with a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add the rinsed rice and return to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to simmer, and cook for 20 minutes, until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- In a small bowl, stir together the sugar, salt, and rice vinegar. Microwave for 2 minutes, or until the sugar dissolves.
- Transfer the cooked rice to a medium bowl and pour the vinegar mixture over it, then stir well using a wooden spoon.
- Heat the canola oil in a medium pan over medium-high heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the panko and cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown, 1-2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and remove from the heat.
- In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise and Sriracha until smooth.
- To assemble the bowls, divide the seasoned rice between 2 serving bowls. Top with the crab, crispy panko, cucumber, radish, nori, scallions, sesame seeds, pickled ginger, and avocado. Drizzle the Sriracha mayonnaise over the top.