95% would make again
Crunchy California Roll Sushi Bowl
featured in Easy Homemade Sushi Platters
This crunchy California roll sushi bowl is perfect for a quick dinner or an easy lunch for two. Avocado, toasted bread crumbs, pickled ginger, radishes, green scallions, and cucumbers make this a colorful and beautiful meal. Top it with an easy homemade spicy aioli to perfectly balance the flavors.
June 10, 2019
for 2 servings
- 2 cups water (480 mL)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 cup sushi rice (200 g), rinsed until the water runs clear
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ cup rice vinegar (60 mL)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ⅓ cup panko bread crumbs (15 g)
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- ¼ cup mayonnaise (60 g)
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- 16 oz crab meat (455 g), drained
- 1 persian cucumber, thinly sliced
- 4 red radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced nori
- 1 bunch scallion, thinly sliced on the bias
- 1 tablespoon sesame seed
- 2 tablespoons pickled ginger
- 1 avocado, diced
- Calories 1155
- Fat 46g
- Carbs 106g
- Fiber 8g
- Sugar 72g
- Protein 64g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Add the water to a medium pot and season with a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add the rinsed rice and return to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes, until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- In a small bowl, stir together the sugar, salt, and rice vinegar. Microwave for 2 minutes, or until the sugar dissolves.
- Transfer the cooked rice to a medium bowl and pour the vinegar mixture over it, then stir well with a wooden spoon.
- Heat the canola oil in a medium pan over medium-high heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the panko and cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown, 1–2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then remove the pan from the heat.
- In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise and Sriracha until smooth.
- To assemble the bowls, divide the seasoned rice between 2 serving bowls. Top with the crab, crispy panko, cucumber, radish, nori, scallions, sesame seeds, pickled ginger, and avocado. Drizzle the Sriracha mayonnaise over the top.