83% would make again
Dairy Free Doughnuts
featured in 6 Delicious Doughnut Recipes
for 12 doughnuts
- ¼ cup vegan margarine (50 g)
- ½ cup soy milk (120 mL)
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil, plus 1 litre (4 cups) extra for frying
- 2 cups plain flour (250 g)
- ½ cup caster sugar (100 g)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Calories 168
- Fat 6g
- Carbs 24g
- Fiber 0g
- Sugar 6g
- Protein 2g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Gently melt the butter over a low-medium heat. Add milk and 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil and mix together. Once combined, take off the heat and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, half of the sugar, baking powder and salt with a fork. Make a well in the centre.
- Pour the butter mixture into the well. Combine gradually until a thick dough forms.
- Using your hands, roll dough into little flat balls and with your thumb, press a hole in the centre of each doughnut. (You may need to flour your hands for this part to avoid getting sticky!)
- Heat up the litre of oil in a pan. To know when it's hot enough, fry a little bit of bread in the oil. If it goes brown and floats to the top, in 45-50 seconds the oil will be ready!
- Gently lay the doughnuts into the oil using a spatula. Fry for about 3-5 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Transfer the doughnuts onto some tissue paper to soak up any excess oil. Then roll into a bowl of the remaining sugar.