96% would make again
Dairy-Free Lavender Lemon Scones
featured in 5 Dairy-Free Desserts
Inspired by fashionablefoods.com
for 8 servings
- 1 lemon
- ½ cup almond milk (120 mL), plus 1-2 teaspoons
- 2 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour (240 g), plus more for dusting
- ½ cup organic cane sugar (100 g)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon food-grade lavender
- ½ cup coconut oil (100 g), solid
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup powdered sugar (120 g)
- Calories 372
- Fat 15g
- Carbs 54g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugar 26g
- Protein 6g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Zest the lemon into a small bowl and set aside.
- Juice the lemon and set aside 1 teaspoon for the glaze. Combine the rest with ½ cup (120 ml) of almond milk and set aside for 5-10 minutes while you make the rest of the dough. (The almond milk will curdle, that’s okay! This creates a dairy-free substitute for buttermilk.)
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, poppy seeds, and lavender. Whisk well.
- Add the coconut oil and cut it into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter, a fork, or your fingers until the flour mixture is crumbly and there are no large chunks left.
- Add the lemon zest, curdled almond milk, and egg. Fold the ingredients until the dough forms.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface. Sprinkle with just enough flour to keep the dough from sticking as you form it into a disc about 1½-2 inches (4-5 cm) thick.
- Cut the dough into 8 triangular scones. Transfer the scones to the prepared baking sheet, spacing evenly.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool.
- Make the glaze: In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, remaining 1-2 teaspoons of almond milk, and the reserved teaspoon of lemon juice. Whisk until smooth.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cooled scones and let it harden, 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with hot tea.