96% would make again
featured in Dumplings Around Asia
If you’ve never heard of mandu, it’s a Korean-style dumpling that can be filled with a variety of toppings and boiled, steamed, or fried. This recipe uses a mixture of tofu, pork, beef, kimchi, scallions, and seasonings. The mandu are boiled until they’re tender, chewy, and bursting with flavor. Thanks to store-bought wrappers, it’s easy to make a big batch of these dumplings to feed a crowd or freeze for later.
Inspired by kimchichick.com
for 80 dumplings
- 7 oz tofu (200 g)
- ½ lb ground pork (225 g)
- ½ lb ground beef (225 g)
- ½ cup scallion (50 g), chopped
- ¼ cup white onion (35 g), chopped
- ½ cup kimchi (115 g), roughly chooled
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 80 small dumpling wrappers
- dipping sauce, optional
- ⅓ cup soy sauce (80 mL)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon korean red pepper
- Calories 318
- Fat 2g
- Carbs 61g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 0g
- Protein 10g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Place the tofu in a small bowl lined with paper towels. Top with another paper towel and a bowl filled water for weight. Let sit for 15 minutes to extract some moisture from the tofu.
- Crumble the tofu into small pieces in a large bowl. Add the pork, beef, scallions, onion, kimchi, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, soy sauce, salt and pepper. Mix well with your hands.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg and water.
- Put two teaspoons of filling in the middle of a dumpling wrapper. Using your finger, wet half of the outer rim of the wrapper with the egg and water mixture.
- Fold the wrapper in half. Using your fingertips, start make pleats to seal the mandu. Repeat with the rest of the wrappers and filling.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat. Once boiling, add 6-7 mandu at a time. Once the mandu start floating on the surface, boil for another 1-2 minutes. Remove the mandu from the water with a spider or slotted spoon and repeat with the rest of the dumplings.
- Serve with dipping sauce.