Dominican Pasteles En Hoja As Made By Julissa Calderon
Julissa Calderon's Dominican Pasteles en Hoja are the perfect addition to any dinner party. The combination of juicy beef, vibrant peppers, and flavorful spices all wrapped up in banana leaves makes for a festive and delicious meal.
for 24 servings
- ½ cup olive oil (120 mL)
- 1 tablespoon bijol seasoning
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground beef (455 g)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup tomato sauce (260 g)
- ¼ cup raisin (40 g)
- 10 unripe plantains, peeled and grated
- 1 lb yucca (455 g), or yuatía, peeled and grated
- 2 chicken broth cubes, ground
- sazon goya seasoning powder, to taste
- 2 lime juices
- milk, as needed
- bijol seasoning, as needed
- 24 banana leaves, cut into 10x12- inch (25x30 cm) rectangles, heated over the stove until pliable
- butcher's twine
- hot sauce
- Calories 266
- Fat 7g
- Carbs 46g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugar 17g
- Protein 6g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the Bijol seasoning and cook for 3 minutes or until the oil turns reddish-orange and is aromatic. Set aside all but 2 tablespoons of the seasoned oil and return the pan to the heat.
- Add the red onion, garlic, beef, salt, pepper, and oregano and stir to combine. Cook until the meat is well browned, around 15 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce and raisins. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes, or until all of the liquid evaporates and the meat is tender. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Make the plantain dough: In a deep bowl, add the plantains, yuatía, chicken broth cubes, Sazón Goya powder, lime juice, some of the milk, Bijol seasoning, and reserved Bijol oil. Stir to combine, adding more milk as needed until the dough is seasoned to your taste, soft, tacky, and light orange in color.
- Lay a banana leaf on a clean work surface and brush the center with Bijol oil. Scoop 3 tablespoons of the plantain dough into the center of the square and top with 2 tablespoons of the beef filling. Fold the banana leaf in half, then roll up and tuck in the ends to seal. Tie tightly with twine to secure. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil over medium heat and season with salt. Add the pasteles, cover, and cook for 40 minutes. Remove the pasteles from the pot.
- Unwrap and serve with ketchup and hot sauce.
- Meal planning made easy with the Tasty app. Download now to see exclusive curated meal plans.