97% would make again
Easily The Best Garlic Herb Roasted Potatoes
featured in 10 Mouthwatering Recipes For Potato Lovers
Inspired by seriouseats.com
for 5 servings
- 13 russet potatoes, cut into 1-inch (2 1/2 cm) pieces
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup olive oil (60 mL)
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, or fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 small handful fresh parsley leaf, minced to garnish
- Calories 716
- Fat 11g
- Carbs 143g
- Fiber 12g
- Sugar 6g
- Protein 13g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Fill a large pot with water and boil. Add salt, baking soda, and potatoes, and stir.
- Return to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 10 minutes after returning to a boil. A fork should easily pierce the potato pieces by the end. Drain and let sit one minute while moisture evaporates.
- Combine olive oil, rosemary (or thyme), garlic, and a few grinds of black pepper in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat. Stir constantly until garlic just begins to turn golden, about 2-3 minutes.
- Immediately strain oil through a fine-mesh strainer over the potatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste, and mix.
- Shake the pot that the potatoes are in so that they slam against all sides of the pot, this will loosen the outer layer of the potatoes to form a mashed layer around each potato piece.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Transfer potatoes to a large rimmed baking sheet and separate them, spreading them out evenly.
- Transfer to oven and roast, without moving, for 30-35 minutes.
- Using a thin, flexible metal spatula flip potatoes. Continue roasting until potatoes are deep brown and crisp all over, turning and shaking them a few times during cooking, 30 to 40 minutes longer.
- Transfer potatoes to a large bowl and add the garlic-rosemary mixture (optional) and minced parsley. Toss to coat and season with more salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.