92% would make again
Easter Savory Pie (Pizza Rustica)
June 10, 2019
for 16 servings
- 2 cups warm water (480 mL)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ cup olive oil (120 mL)
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 5 ½ cups all-purpose flour (690 g)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 10 large eggs
- 16 oz ricotta cheese (455 g)
- 1 cup fresh parsley (35 g), chopped
- 4 oz grated pecorino romano (115 g)
- 8 oz ham (225 g), boiled, cubed
- 8 oz pepperoni (225 g), cubed
- 8 oz provolone cheese (225 g), cubed
- 8 oz salami (225 g), hard, cubed
- 4 oz prosciutto (115 g), chopped
- 1 ½ cups bread crumbs (170 g)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Calories 625
- Fat 34g
- Carbs 44g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 2g
- Protein 31g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the warm water, sugar, olive oil, and instant yeast.
- Add the flour and salt, and mix the dough together with a wooden spoon until it forms a ball. Then knead the dough for 1 minute, or until it feels smooth and springy.
- Cover the dough in the bowl with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a large bowl, add 10 eggs, ricotta, parsley, and Pecorino Romano. Whisk the mixture until smooth.
- Add the ham, pepperoni, provolone, hard salami, prosciutto, and bread crumbs. Fold in the cubed meats and cheeses. The texture should be thick and slightly wet.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, dump it onto a floured surface, knead for 2 minutes, and shape it into a ball. Roll the dough out to a rough circle, about ¼-inch (½-cm) thick.
- With a pizza cutter or knife, cut out a large disc that is 2 inches (5-cm) wider than a 9-inch (23-cm) springform pan or round baking dish. With the rest of the dough, cut thick strips about 9 inches (23-cm) long and 1 inch (2 cm) thick.
- Transfer the dough disc into the springform pan or baking dish. Gently press the dough against the bottom and sides of the pan, allowing the excess to hang over the sides.
- Pour the egg, cheese, and meat mixture into the pan. Pack the filling down and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Weave the strips of dough on top to create a decorative pattern. Trim any excess dough, then fold and crimp the edges. Brush the top with egg wash.
- Bake the pizza rustica for 2 hours, or until the filling is cooked through and the pizza dough has browned.
- Let the the pizza rustica cool completely. Remove from the pan. Chill in the refrigerator overnight on a wire rack.