Easy Butter Chicken
This simplified version of the Indian classic combines chicken, tomato sauce, and a slew of aromatic spices all in one pot to make a flavorful dinner that’s just as good as the version you’ll get at restaurants — only way easier to make. Serve it over rice with a bit of cilantro to balance the heat and dinner is done.
for 4 servings
- 2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast (910 g), cubed
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons chili powder, divided
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 ½ cups diced yellow onion (225 g)
- 3 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 3-inch cinnamon stick
- 14 oz tomato sauce (395 g)
- 1 cup water (240 mL)
- 1 cup heavy cream (240 mL)
- cooked rice, for serving
- chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Calories 799
- Fat 52g
- Carbs 15g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugar 8g
- Protein 74g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a large bowl, season the chicken with salt, pepper, 1 teaspoon of chili powder, and the turmeric. Let sit for 15 minutes to marinate.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large pot over medium heat. Brown the chicken, then remove from the pot.
- Melt another 2 tablespoons of butter in the pot, then add the onion, garam masala, remaining teaspoon of chili powder, the cumin, ginger, garlic, cayenne, cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Cook until fragrant.
- Add the tomato sauce and bring to a simmer.
- Add the water and cream and return to a simmer.
- Return the chicken to the pot, cover, and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and season with more salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the chicken over rice and garnish with cilantro.
- Meal planning made easy with the Tasty app. Download now to see exclusive curated meal plans.