for 4 servings
- olive oil, as needed
- 1 lb ground beef (455 g)
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 30 oz canned kidney beans (850 g), drained and rinsed
- 28 oz canned crushed tomatoes (795 g)
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 8 tablespoons chili powder
- ¼ cup water (60 mL)
- 14.9 fl oz stout beer (425 mL)
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- fresh chive, chopped
- Calories 821
- Fat 30g
- Carbs 78g
- Fiber 22g
- Sugar 13g
- Protein 55g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, brown the beef in a little bit of olive oil. Season with the salt and pepper.
- Once browned, remove the beef from the pot and set aside.
- In the same pot, sauté the onion until slightly softened. Add the browned beef back to the pan. Mix to incorporate.
- Add the kidney beans, crushed tomatoes, cumin, paprika, red pepper flakes, chili powder, water, and stout beer and stir well. Bring to a boil. Cover and let simmer for 1 hour.
- Ladle the chili into bowls and top with shredded cheddar, sour cream, and chives.
- Busy? Plan your meals for the week using our exclusive meal planner tool in the Tasty app. Download now and get organized.