85% would make again
Easy Sushi Sandwiches
featured in How to Make Sushi Six Ways
for 8 servings
- ¼ cup sugar (50 g)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup rice vinegar (240 mL)
- 4 cups short grain rice (920 g), cooked, hot
- 8 sheets nori, divided
- ½ lb shrimp (225 g), peeled and deveined
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour (95 g)
- ¼ cup cornstarch (30 g)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup ice water (180 mL)
- canola oil, for frying
- salt, to taste
- 1 avocado, sliced, divided
- 6 oz imitation crab (170 g), 1 can
- 1 english cucumber, thinly sliced, divided
- ½ cup whipped cream cheese (60 g)
- 4 oz smoked salmon (115 g), 1 package
- teriyaki sauce
- spicy mayonnaise
- soy sauce
- Calories 627
- Fat 15g
- Carbs 103g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugar 19g
- Protein 19g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a bowl, add the sugar, salt, and vinegar, and stir to combine. Microwave for 2 minutes, or until the sugar has dissolved.
- Transfer the rice onto a serving bowl and pour the vinegar mixture over the rice.
- Using a spatula fold in the vinegar into the rice. Have another person fan the rice while mixing to get it down to room temperature.
- Lay 4 sheets of nori onto two sheet pans. Spread half the rice mixture onto the nori on one sheet pan in an even layer. Repeat with the remaining sheet pan.
- Refrigerate uncovered for 30 minutes to an hour.
- In a bowl, whisk the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt, and egg until smooth.
- Slowly add the ice water in a steady stream whisking until just mixed.
- Dip the shrimp in the batter until fully coated.
- Heat a large pot of oil to 350˚F (180˚C).
- Add shrimp to the pot and fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Transfer the shrimp to a wire rack to drain. Repeat with remaining shrimp.
- Once cool, season the shrimp with salt to taste.
- Remove the sheet pans with rice from the refrigerator. Place the first sheet of nori and rice onto a cutting board.
- Mentally divide the rice sheet into fourths. On one fourth, place a layer of cucumber, a layer of avocado, and top with the crab.
- On another fourth, place the sliced avocado and top with the shrimp tempura.
- On another fourth, spread a layer of the cream cheese, then top with smoked salmon and a layer of avocado.
- On the last fourth add a layer of cucumber and avocado.
- Gently invert the other sheet tray with rice onto the sheet tray with toppings, so that the edges are even.
- Cut the sushi into 16 even squares.
- Serve with teriyaki sauce, spicy mayonnaise, and soy sauce.