Easy Tortilla Española
This classic Spanish dish is perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, or even a snack! We’re keeping the base recipe under 5 ingredients, but it would also be great with vegetables and/or Spanish ham folded in.
for 6 servings
- 2 cups olive oil (480 mL), plus more as needed
- 1 lb russet potato (425 g), peeled and sliced into 1/8 in rounds (1mm)
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 6 large eggs
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Calories 807
- Fat 77g
- Carbs 20g
- Fiber 18g
- Sugar 3g
- Protein 10g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, wide pan with high sides over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the potatoes, onion, and 1 teaspoon salt. Add more olive oil as needed to ensure everything is submerged. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until the potatoes are fork tender, 5–7 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Place a metal strainer over a large heatproof bowl. Carefully strain the potatoes and onion and set aside to cool. Reserve the cooking oil.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together eggs, 1 teaspoon of salt, and pepper until foamy, 2–3 minutes. Gently fold in the cooled potato and onion mixture and let sit at room temperature for 5 minutes.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the reserved oil in a 9 or 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. When the oil is shimmering, pour in the egg and potato mixture and spread in an even layer. Cook, tilting the pan and lifting up the edges with spatula to let the uncooked egg run underneath, until the edges are pale yellow and lacy, 4–5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and place a large heatproof plate over the skillet. Working quickly, invert the pan to flip the tortilla onto the plate.
- Return the skillet to medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of the reserved oil, then slide the tortilla back into the pan with the uncooked side facing down. Use spatula to tuck in the sides of the tortilla. Cook until the bottom of the tortilla is browned and the center is cooked through, 2–3 minutes.
- Slide the tortilla onto the plate and let rest for 5–10 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Ready for a smarter way to find recipes? Use Botatouille, our AI-powered food genius in the Tasty app. Download here