Fudgy Hidden Veggie Brownies
Who knew eggplant could be so versatile? We promise you won't actually taste the eggplant in this gluten-free and vegan alternative to traditional brownies; they're surprsingly moist and chocoalte-y!
for 9 servings
- 1 lb eggplant, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 8 oz semisweet chocolate chip (225 g), divided, plus more to taste
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate (45 g), chopped
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup superfine almond flour (95 g)
- ¼ cup dutch processed cocoa powder (30 g)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Calories 342
- Fat 22g
- Carbs 32g
- Fiber 11g
- Sugar 20g
- Protein 8g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (180˚C).
- Peel the eggplant, then cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds, then chop into large pieces. Transfer to a steamer basket set over a large pot of simmering water, cover, and steam for 20 minutes, until the eggplant is very soft.
- Transfer the hot eggplant to the bowl of the food processor with 4 ounces (110 g) of semisweet chocolate chips, the unsweetened chocolate, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. The heat from the eggplant will melt the chocolate. Blend on high speed for 2-3 minutes, until very smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, then add the almond flour, cocoa powder, and salt, and whisk to combine. Add the eggplant chocolate mixture and fold with a rubber spatula to combine. Fold in the remaining semisweet chocolate chips.
- Transfer the batter to a greased 8-inch (20-cm) square baking dish and smooth the top. Top with more chocolate chips, if desired.
- Bake for 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the brownies comes out clean.
- Let cool for 20 minutes before slicing.
- Don't let a good recipe slip away. Download the Tasty app and save your favorites for easy access.