for 6 servings
- 1 eggplant, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- ½ cup Italian-style bread crumbs (55 g)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour (60 g)
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup canola oil (60 mL)
- 16 oz dried penne pasta (450 mL)
- 1 jar Prego® Traditional Italian Sauce
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella cheese (225 g), torn into 1-inch pieces
- ¼ cup roughly chopped fresh basil leaves (10 g), divided
- Calories 502
- Fat 21g
- Carbs 58g
- Fiber 31g
- Sugar 8g
- Protein 20g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
This recipe isn’t available to shop.
Unfortunately, not all our recipes can be shopped through Tasty.
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels. Spread the eggplant on the prepared baking sheet and season with the salt. Let sit for 20–30 minutes to draw out excess moisture.
- While the eggplant drains, add the bread crumbs and flour to 2 separate small bowls. Beat the eggs in a third small bowl.
- Pat the eggplant dry with paper towels. Dredge each piece of eggplant in the flour to coat thoroughly, shaking off any excess. Dip each piece in the eggs, then coat in the bread crumbs, pressing to adhere.
- Heat the canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Working in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan, add the eggplant to the hot oil and fry until golden brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel–lined sheet tray to drain.
- *Tip: Eggplant can alternatively be oven or air fried. Cooking times will vary.
- Heat the Prego® Traditional Italian Sauce in a medium pot over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until warmed through.
- Add the cooked penne, fried eggplant, mozzarella, and half of the basil to the sauce, and toss to combine.
- Garnish with remaining basil.