Fancy Hash Brown
Inspired by Swiss rösti, this golden, crispy hash brown becomes a canvas for anything your heart desires. Go full-on fancy with high-end ingredients like crème fraîche and trout roe, or keep it simple with a fried egg.
for 1 serving
- 12 oz medium russet potato, scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons ghee, clarified butter
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- fresh chive, sliced
- fresh dill frond
- crème fraîche
- salmon or trout roe
- lemon wedge
- Calories 607
- Fat 35g
- Carbs 67g
- Fiber 31g
- Sugar 3g
- Protein 6g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Using a food processor fitted with the large grater attachment (or the large holes on a box grated), shred the potato. Transfer to a medium bowl and toss with the salt, then let sit for about 5 minutes to draw out excess moisture.
- Transfer the shredded potato to a clean, lint-free kitchen towel and wring out as much moisture as possible. Wipe out the bowl, then the potato to the bowl and season with pepper. Use your fingers to separate the shreds into a fluffy pile.
- Heat a 6-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat until very hot. Line a wire rack or plate with paper towels and set nearby.
- Once the skillet is very hot, add 1 tablespoon of ghee and swirl to coat the pan. Carefully transfer the potato shreds to the skillet and use a spatula to gently pat down into a uniform circle. Cook for 3–5 minutes, until the bottom is a deep golden brown and crispy. Set a plate upside-down over the skillet, place your hand on top to hold it in place, and carefully flip the skillet upside down to release the hash brown from the pan. (Be careful, the skillet will be very hot!)
- Return the skillet to the heat, then add the remaining tablespoon of ghee. Let the ghee warm for about 30 seconds, then slide the hash brown, uncooked side down, back into the skillet. Cook for another 3–5 minutes, until golden brown, then remove from the skillet and place on the paper towels to drain.
- Let the hash brown cool for a few minutes, before topping with a generous dollop of crème fraîche, smoked salmon, chives, dill, and roe. Finish with a squeeze of lemon and serve immediately.
- Cook smarter, not harder. Use our AI chef Botatouille on the Tasty app. Download now.