75% would make again
Fried Carrot Cake
If you thought Singapore’s Carrot Cake dish was a twist on the classic dessert — think again.
September 15, 2020
for 8 servings
- 1 ½ cups daikon (150 g), grated
- 1 cup rice flour (125 g)
- ½ cup tapioca flour (125 g)
- 2 cups chicken stock (480 mL)
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons pickled radish, chai poh
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 spring onion
- 1 teaspoon chilli paste
- Calories 197
- Fat 8g
- Carbs 26g
- Fiber 10g
- Sugar 2g
- Protein 6g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
This recipe isn’t available to shop.
Unfortunately, not all our recipes can be shopped through Tasty.
- Add daikon to a pot of boiling water and cook for five minutes until translucent. Drain then set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add rice flour, tapioca flour, and chicken stock. Mix until fully combined then add the daikon.
- Place a wok on medium heat, then add 1 tbsp of cooking oil. Once it heats up add 1 tbsp of garlic and fry for 1 minute before adding in the daikon mixture. Stir constantly until the mixture thickens up. This will happen rapidly so be careful not to take it too far or it will dry out. The mixture should look like a thick cake batter.
- Pour the daikon mix into a round cake pan, then place inside a steaming pot and steam for one hour.
- Once the cake has become a solid mass, remove from the steamer and allow to cool. Then refrigerate for three hours or overnight.
- Remove the cake from the fridge and set on a chopping board then slice into small rectangular cubes.
- Add 2 tbsp of cooking oil to a wok and place on high heat, then once the oil starts to smoke add the cubes of cake and fry, stirring occasionally until every side has browned.
- Lower the heat to medium, then add garlic, pickled radish (chai poh), light soy sauce, and fish sauce. Stir for a minute until each cube is coated in sauce, then add eggs and allow it to set for a moment. Break up the eggs partially once they are cooked then flip onto a plate.
- Garnish with sliced spring onion, and chilli paste.