Fusion Chana Masala Tacos
This recipe was submitted by a Tasty Community Member, and hasn’t been tested by the Tasty recipe team.Submit your own recipe here!
for 2 servings
Chana Masala Ingredients:
- 4 cups chickpeas (800 g), canned or pre-cooked
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced or crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons ginger, grated
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup water (240 mL), (adjust as needed)
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 2 whole dry chili peppers
- cinnamon stick piece
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- red chili powder, (optional to add spice)
- 2 teaspoons chana masala powder
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 cup water (240 mL), (adjust as needed for consistency)
- Calories 603
- Fat 21g
- Carbs 85g
- Fiber 25g
- Sugar 24g
- Protein 22g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- First, make Chana Masala as follows:
- Heat avocado oil in a pan. To the pan, add bay leaves, dry chili pepper, cinnamon sticks and whole cumin seeds.
- Once cumin seeds start to sizzle, add diced onion and cook until slightly brown and translucent.
- Lower the heat and add the crushed or fresh tomatoes, ginger and garlic and mixwell.
- Add salt, turmeric, paprika, red chili powder, chana masala mix and water. Mix well.
- Let simmer for about 5 minutes with lid on.
- Add cooked chickpeas, mix well and let cook for 7-10 minutes.
- Then, add the taco seasoning to the chana masala you just made. Mash with masher and add water as needed for a loose but not runny consistency. Heat in a saucepan. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Serve mixture on taco shells with lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, optional cheese and salsa.