Game Night Bites 3-Ways: Coconut Shrimp
featured in Game Night Bites 3-Ways
Get ready to impress your friends with these Game Night Bites: Coconut Shrimp! Crunchy, sweet, and oh-so-delicious, they'll be the star of your next gathering.
May 04, 2023
Under 30 minutes
Under 30 minutes
for 4 servings
- 1 lb large shrimp (455 g), peeled and deveined, tails on
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour (40 g)
- ¾ cup full fat coconut milk (180 g)
- 1 large egg
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs (125 g)
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flake (100 g)
- 4 tablespoons fresh thyme leaf, divided. chopped
- ½ cup coconut oil (120 mL), plus 2 tablespoons
- sea salt, for garnish
- sweet chili sauce, for serving
- lemon wedge, for serving
- Calories 783
- Fat 50g
- Carbs 52g
- Fiber 12g
- Sugar 19g
- Protein 31g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, toss the shrimp with the salt, paprika, black pepper, garlic powder, and flour until well coated.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, egg, and lemon zest.
- In another medium bowl, combine the panko bread crumbs, coconut flakes, and 3 tablespoons thyme.
- Working 1 at a time, hold a shrimp by the tail and dip in the coconut milk mixture, then roll in the coconut panko mixture to coat. Set on the prepared baking sheet.
- In a 3-quart skillet, heat the coconut oil over medium heat until it reaches 375°F (190°C).
- Working 4–6 at a time, add the shrimp to the hot oil and fry on each side for 2 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer the shrimp to a paper towel-lined plate and sprinkle with sea salt and the remaining tablespoon of thyme.
- Serve the shrimp with sweet chili sauce and lemon wedges.
- Don't just wing it -- plan it! Use our meal planner tool in the Tasty app. Download here.