91% would make again
Gingerbread 3D Cookies 4 Ways
featured in Decorative & Crafty Cookies
These cookies are the ultimate holiday treat. With their sweet and spicy gingerbread flavor and fun 3D shapes, they'll be the star of any Christmas cookie exchange. Plus, with four different decorating options, there's something for everyone.
May 05, 2023
for 12 servings
- ¾ cup butter (170 g), melted
- ¾ cup brown sugar (165 g)
- ¾ cup molasses (250 g)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 3 ½ cups flour (440 g)
- 3 cups powdered sugar (360 g)
- 6 tablespoons milk
- red food coloring
- green food coloring
- Calories 457
- Fat 12g
- Carbs 83g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 54g
- Protein 4g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a large bowl, whisk the melted butter, brown sugar, molasses, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and allspice until smooth.
- Whisk in the egg until combined.
- Fold in the baking powder, baking soda, and half of the flour.
- Add the rest of the flour until dough comes together.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Roll out the dough to ¼-inch (6 mm) thickness. Cut into the desired shape using small knife.
- Take the extra dough and roll out again to ¼-inch (6 mm) thickness. Continue to cut shapes until dough is used. If dough gets too soft, transfer to fridge before rolling out.
- Transfer shapes to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Carefully transfer the cookies to a baking rack and cool completely.
- Equally divide the powdered sugar in three bowls.
- Add two tablespoons of milk to each and whisk until smooth. If too runny add more powdered sugar, if too thick add more milk.
- Add red food coloring to one bowl and green to the other.
- Transfer icings to three different piping bags with a thin tip.
- Decorate the cookies and allow to set before assembling.
- Fit the cookie pieces into each other to allow the cookies to stand.