93% would make again
Gingerbread 3D Cookies 4 Ways
featured in Decorative & Crafty Cookies
for 12 servings
- ¾ cup butter (170 g), melted
- ¾ cup brown sugar (165 g)
- ¾ cup molasses (250 g)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 3 ½ cups flour (440 g)
- 3 cups powdered sugar (360 g)
- 6 tablespoons milk
- red food coloring
- green food coloring
- Calories 457
- Fat 12g
- Carbs 83g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 54g
- Protein 4g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a large bowl, whisk the melted butter, brown sugar, molasses, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and allspice until smooth.
- Whisk in the egg until combined.
- Fold in the baking powder, baking soda, and half of the flour.
- Add the rest of the flour until dough comes together.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Roll out the dough to ¼-inch (6 mm) thickness. Cut into the desired shape using small knife.
- Take the extra dough and roll out again to ¼-inch (6 mm) thickness. Continue to cut shapes until dough is used. If dough gets too soft, transfer to fridge before rolling out.
- Transfer shapes to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Carefully transfer the cookies to a baking rack and cool completely.
- Equally divide the powdered sugar in three bowls.
- Add two tablespoons of milk to each and whisk until smooth. If too runny add more powdered sugar, if too thick add more milk.
- Add red food coloring to one bowl and green to the other.
- Transfer icings to three different piping bags with a thin tip.
- Decorate the cookies and allow to set before assembling.
- Fit the cookie pieces into each other to allow the cookies to stand.