Gingerbread Linzer Cookies
Flavored with McCormick® spices, these gingerbread cookies are sandwiched with a cranberry jam for a most delightful holiday treat.
August 14, 2023
Under 30 minutes
Under 30 minutes
for 15 sandwich cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter (230 g), plus 3 tablespoons, room temperature
- ⅓ cup dark brown sugar (65 g), packed
- ¼ cup molasses (60 g)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (375 g)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon McCormick® ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon McCormick® Ground Nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon McCormick® Ground Cloves
- ¼ teaspoon McCormick® ground allspice
- powdered sugar, for dusting
Cranberry Cream Jam
- 1 cup fresh cranberries (140 g)
- ¼ cup water (60 mL)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar (50 g)
- 1 lemon, zested
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ¾ cup mascarpone cheese (75 g)
- Calories 301
- Fat 17g
- Carbs 31g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 9g
- Protein 4g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a large bowl, whip the butter, brown sugar, and molasses together with an electric hand mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the egg yolk and McCormick® Vanilla Extract and mix until incorporated, about 1 minute.
- Add the flour, salt, baking soda, McCormick® Ground Cinnamon, McCormick® Ground Ginger, McCormick® Ground Nutmeg, McCormick® Ground Cloves, and McCormick® Ground Allspice and mix on low speed until the dough comes together, about 3 minutes.
- Divide the dough into two portions and shape into discs. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Meanwhile, make the cranberry cream jam: In a medium pot, combine the cranberries, water, sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook for 8–10 minutes, or until the cranberries are tender enough to mash. Mash the cranberries with a whisk or a wooden spoon and stir until thickened to a jam-like consistency. Remove the pot from the heat and let cool for 5 minutes, then stir in the mascarpone cheese until smooth. Set aside until ready to assemble the cookies.
- Working with one disc at a time, place the dough in between 2 sheets of parchment paper and roll out to between ¼–½-inch-thick. Use a gingerbread person cookie cutter to cut out cookies, gathering and re-rolling the dough scraps to cut out more. You should have about 30 cookies (make sure you have an even number).
- Using a ½-inch heart, circle, or diamond cookie cutter, cut a shape out of the center of half of the gingerbread people to create a small window. Transfer the cookies to the prepared baking sheets, spacing evenly.
- Bake the cookies for 10–12 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown. Remove from the oven, transfer to a wire rack, and allow to cool completely, about 10 minutes.
- Assemble the cookies: Spread 1½–2 teaspoons of the cranberry cream jam over the bottoms of the cookies without the cut-outs. Dust the cookies with the cut-outs with powdered sugar, then place on top of the jam-covered cookies to make cookie sandwiches.
- Store the cookies in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Meal planning made easy with the Tasty app. Download now to see exclusive curated meal plans.