Gluten-Free Crispy Fried Shallots
Forget the bread crumbs! Add some extra crunch to everything from your green bean casserole to your favorite steak or soups with these fried shallots. They make a delicious gluten-free snack, too.
for 3 cups
- 4 cups canola oil (960 mL), for frying
- 4 large shallots, sliced into 1/8 in rounds
- 1 cup cornstarch (125 g), divided
- 1 cup buttermilk (240 mL)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- In a large high-walled skillet or large pot, heat the canola oil over medium heat until it reaches 350°F (180°C). Set a wire rack over a baking sheet or line with paper towels and place nearby.
- Add the shallots to a medium bowl and use your fingers to separate them into individual rings. Toss the shallots with ¼ cup (30 g) of the cornstarch until coated.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the remaining ¾ cup (95 g) cornstarch, buttermilk, and salt until completely smooth.
- Working in ½ cup (75 g) batches, toss the shallots in the batter to coat, then lift out, letting any excess batter drip off.
- Fry the shallots in the hot oil for 2–3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Transfer to the wire rack to drain and season with more salt. Repeat with the remaining shallots. Let cool completely.
- Store the crispy shallots in a container with a loose-fitting lid. They will keep for 2–3 days in a cool, dark place. Use to top green bean casseroles, add to soups, garnish burgers, etc.