Golden Chicken Sandwich As Made By Chef Kuniko Yagi
Chef Kuniko Yagi of Pikunico, a Japanese fried chicken restaurant in Los Angeles, shares the recipe for what she calls “the best sandwich ever.” Layered with fresh ingredients and boneless, crispy, gluten-free chicken thighs, this sandwich is worth the extra effort to pull together. Serve it with her sesame cole slaw!
for 2 servings
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic, grated
- ½ teaspoon tamari, or soy sauce
- 2 ½ teaspoons Japanese seasoning salt, divided
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons potato starch
- 16 oz boneless, skinless chicken thighs (455 g)
- 4 cups rice bran oil (960 mL), for frying
- 2 cups gluten-free flour blend (250 g)
- 2 teaspoons red miso
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 hot dog buns, halved lengthwise, toasted 7 in (17 cm)
- 12 slices daikon, or pickles of choice
- 10 slices pickled jalapenos
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- ⅔ cup watercress (20 g)
- ½ cup alfalfa sprouts (15 g)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Marinate the chicken: In a medium bowl, whisk together the ginger, garlic, tamari, ½ teaspoon Japanese seasoning salt, egg, and potato starch. Add the chicken thighs and turn to coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and marinate the chicken in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Fill a medium pot halfway with rice bran oil and heat over medium heat until it reaches 375°F (190°C).
- Add the gluten-free flour and remaining 2 teaspoons of seasoning salt to a shallow dish and whisk to combine.
- Coat the marinated chicken thighs in the flour mixture.
- Fry the chicken thighs, one at a time, in the hot oil for 6–7 minutes, until golden brown and the internal temperature reaches 165°F (75°C). Remove from oil and let drain on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, mix together the miso and honey.
- Spread the miso jam over the bottoms of the toasted hot dog buns. Lay the pickled daikon and jalapeño slices over the miso jam, then place the chicken karaage on top. Spread the mayonnaise over the top bun and place the watercress on top. Arrange the alfalfa sprouts over the chicken and drizzle with the olive oil and lemon juice.
- Close the sandwich and secure each side with a wooden skewer. Cut in half, then serve alongside the cole slaw.
- Don't just wing it -- plan it! Use our meal planner tool in the Tasty app. Download here.