This dish is the ultimate comfort food! A hearty and flavorful filling of ground lamb and veggies, topped with a golden layer of Parmesan mashed potatoes. It's like a warm hug for your taste buds.
for 12 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 lb ground lamb (1.5 kg)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 large carrots
- 6 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup red wine (240 mL)
- 1 cup chicken stock (240 mL)
- 3 lb yukon gold potato (1.5 kg), cubed
- ¼ cup unsalted butter (55 g), 1/2 stick
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sour cream (230 g)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese (110 g)
- Calories 600
- Fat 36g
- Carbs 32g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 4g
- Protein 36g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220˚C).
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the ground lamb, season with salt and pepper, and fry for 5 minutes, until cooked through.
- Add the onion, carrots, garlic, thyme, and rosemary, stir, and cook for about 10 minutes, or until the veggies are softened and the meat is well-browned.
- Add the tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce and stir to incorporate. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly, until the liquid evaporates and the meat is aromatic.
- Pour in the red wine and reduce until almost completely evaporated.
- Add the chicken stock, bring to a boil, and cook the meat until the stock has evaporated, 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender. Drain, then return to the hot pan over low heat to dry out a bit.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl and mash until smooth.
- Add salt, the butter, egg yolks, sour cream, and Parmesan cheese. Fold until well combined.
- Transfer the potatoes to a piping bag or zip-top bag fitted with a star tip.
- Spoon the lamb mixture into a large baking dish. Pipe the golden mashed potatoes over the lamb.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until the potatoes are golden brown.
- All your favorite recipes, stored in one place. Download the Tasty app and never lose a recipe again.