Grilled Donuts 2 Ways
Take your donuts to the next level! Melty donut glaze meets a decadent rendition of peaches and cream. Or try something a bit more savory with a crispy, hot honey-smothered fried chicken sandwich.
for 6 donuts
Peaches and Cream
- 2 large ripe yellow peaches, pitted and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup whipped cream (240 mL)
Fried Chicken Sando
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs (455 g)
- ½ cup pickle brine (120 mL)
- ½ cup all purpose flour (60 g)
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon vodka
- 1 qt vegetable oil (1 L), for frying
- ½ cup honey (165 g)
- 1 habanero pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Place the donuts top-side down on the grill and cook until golden brown and caramelized, about 30 seconds. Remove the donuts from the grill and set aside.
- Make the peaches and cream: In a medium bowl, toss together the peaches and granulated sugar. Let macerate for at least 30 minutes at room temperature, or cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Slice a grilled donut in half. Place the bottom half on a plate and top with a dollop of whipped cream and some macerated peaches, then finish with the top half of the donut. Repeat with 2 more grilled donuts and the remaining whipped cream and peaches.
- Make the fried chicken: Add the chicken and pickle brine to a large zip-top bag. Let marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, powdered sugar, salt, black pepper, paprika, garlic powder, celery salt, and baking powder. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg white, and vodka.
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until the temperature reaches 350°F (180°C). Place a wire rack over a baking sheet.
- Remove the chicken from the pickle brine and pat dry with paper towels. Coat each thigh in the flour mixture. Dip in the buttermilk mixture, then back in the flour mixture to coat.
- Working in batches if necessary to avoid overcrowding the pot, fry the chicken in the hot oil until golden brown and the internal temperature reaches 165°F (75°C). Transfer to the wire rack.
- Make the hot honey: In a small skillet over medium heat, combine the honey and habanero and bring to a boil. Continue cooking until the honey thickens slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Slice a grilled donut in half. Place a piece of fried chicken on the donut, drizzle with the hot honey, and finish with the top half of the donut. Repeat with 2 more grilled donuts and the remaining chicken and hot honey. Serve immediately.
- Love this recipe? Download the Tasty app to save it and discover others like it.