Guatemalan Desayuno Chapin
You can find desayuno chapin, or Guatemalan breakfast, just about anywhere in Guatemala for a good reason: it’s delicious! This popular morning meal features plantains, eggs, and more filling dishes that are sure to give you the energy you need to power through the day!
September 22, 2022
for 4 servings
- 1 cup neutral oil (240 mL), plus more as needed
- 2 ripe plantains
- 2 cups maseca (250 g)
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 ½ cups warm water (360 mL), plus more as needed
- 15 oz refried black bean (425 g)
- 3 tablespoons water
- 4 large eggs
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- queso fresco, sliced
- crema guatemalteca
- guatemalan bread
- Calories 824
- Fat 61g
- Carbs 59g
- Fiber 10g
- Sugar 20g
- Protein 14g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil over medium heat until the temperature reaches 325°F (160°C).
- Peel the plantains, then cut into ½-inch-thick slices.
- Add the plantain slices to the hot oil and cook on each side until golden brown, 2–3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- In a medium bowl, combine the maseca and ¼ teaspoon of salt and mix thoroughly. Slowly add the warm water and knead until the maseca is soft and the water is fully incorporated, adding up to ½ cup more water as needed.
- Pinch off the desired amount of masa to make tortillas, then flatten into discs using a tortilla press or rolling pin.
- In a medium pan over medium-high heat, cook the tortillas until they begin to puff, about 30 seconds, then flip and cook for another 30 seconds, or until both sides are golden brown.
- Add the refried black beans and room temperature water to a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until your desired consistency is reached.
- Scramble the eggs in a medium pan over medium-low heat for 5 minutes, or until cooked through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the eggs, plantains, and tortillas between serving plates. Serve with sliced queso fresco, crema, Guatemalan bread, and coffee.