for 4 servings
- 2 lb boneless short ribs (910 g)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 whole star anises
- ½ teaspoon dried harissa
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon chipotle pepper, diced
- 1 can Guinness® Stout Beer, plus more for serving
- 1 qt beef broth (1 L)
- 3 oz tomato paste (85 g)
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup sour cream (60 g)
- ¼ cup red onion (35 g)
- 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, sliced
- Calories 1073
- Fat 39g
- Carbs 100g
- Fiber 15g
- Sugar 18g
- Protein 57g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
This recipe isn’t available to shop.
Unfortunately, not all our recipes can be shopped through Tasty.
- Cut the short ribs into ½-inch (2.5 cm) pieces. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Heat the canola oil in a large pot over high heat. Add the short ribs and sear for 2–3 minutes, until a golden brown crust forms.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt, the onion, garlic, paprika, cumin, star anise, and dried harissa. Reduce the heat to medium-high and cook, stirring for 5 minutes, or until the spices are fragrant.
- Add the garlic powder, onion powder, bay leaves, chipotle peppers, and Guinness® Stout. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Add the beef broth, reduce the heat to low, and cook uncovered for 45–60 minutes, or until the meat is tender and liquid is reduced by one third.
- Add the tomato paste, increase the heat to medium, and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the chili has thickened.
- Add the black beans, remaining teaspoon of salt, and remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper, and simmer for another 5 minutes until the beans are warmed through.
- Remove the bay leaves and star anise pods, then ladle the chili into 4 bowls. Top with sour cream, red onion, cilantro, and sliced jalapeño. Serve with cold glasses of Guinness® Stout.