93% would make again
Habanero Hot Sauce
featured in Fathers Day Hot Sauce
Inspired by geniuskitchen.com
for 6 cups
- 10 habanero peppers, seeded, halved
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup carrot (120 g), chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 2 cups water (240 mL)
- ¼ cup lime juice (60 mL)
- ¼ cup white vinegar (60 mL)
- Calories 88
- Fat 4g
- Carbs 11g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 5g
- Protein 1g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 425˚F (220˚C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the habanero peppers and garlic on the baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and toss with tongs to coat. NOTE: Do not touch the peppers with your bare hands.
- Roast for 10 minutes, until the edges of the peppers are brown.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil to a large pot over high heat. Add the carrot, onion, and salt. Cook for 4 minutes, until the vegetables are tender and glossy.
- Add the water, lime juice, white vinegar, and the roasted peppers and stir. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let cool.
- Pour the vegetable mixture into a blender and puree until smooth.
- Using a funnel, pour the sauce into a bottle or jar and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.