Halloween-Inspired Spicy Tomato Cream Pasta
Spooky season is here! Actually, this recipe was created in mid-July, but it's never too early to start celebrating. This spicy, creamy tomato pasta is perfect for any season.
for 6 servings
- kosher salt, to taste
- 12 oz dried pasta (350 g), preferably Halloween shapes
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 8 oz tomato sauce (225 g)
- ½ cup heavy cream (120 mL)
- 8 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced, divided
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (125 g), divided
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Calories 316
- Fat 22g
- Carbs 23g
- Fiber 47g
- Sugar 2g
- Protein 9g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to the package instructions until al dente, then drain, reserving ⅓ cup of the pasta cooking water.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over low heat, melt together the butter and olive oil until beginning to bubble. Add the garlic and shallot and cook until golden, 2–3 minutes. Add the red pepper flakes and tomato paste and stir until evenly incorporated.
- Add the tomato sauce and heavy cream and stir the sauce for 2–3 minutes, until smooth and warmed through.
- Add half of the basil and the cooked pasta and stir to coat in the sauce, then add ½ cup of Parmesan cheese and stir until incorporated and melted. If the sauce is too thick, add some of the reserved pasta water. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the pasta between bowls and garnish with the remaining basil and Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
- All your favorite recipes, stored in one place. Download the Tasty app and never lose a recipe again.