82% would make again
Healthier Mac ‘n’ Cheese
featured in 6 Healthy Ingredient Substitutions
Inspired by buzzfeed.com
for 4 servings
- 2 yellow potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- ½ cup cashews (65 g)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 lb whole wheat macaroni (455 g), cooked
- paprika, optional
- Calories 582
- Fat 7g
- Carbs 110g
- Fiber 7g
- Sugar 7g
- Protein 19g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Add potatoes, carrot, and onion to a boiling pot of water. Cook for 10 minutes or until fork-tender. Reserve two cups of boiled water, and drain the rest through a colander.
- Add cooked vegetables, cashews, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and nutritional yeast. Put 1 cup (235 ml) of reserved boiled water into blend. Blend until well combined. If a smoother texture is desired, add more of the boiled water.
- Pour mix over cooked pasta and coat evenly.
- Garnish with paprika (optional).