98% would make again
Healthy & Hearty Black Bean Soup
featured in 5 Foods For a Healthy Life
Inspired by cookieandkate.com
for 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 60 oz black beans (1.75 kg), 4 cans, drained, rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable stock (960 mL)
- 1 bay leaf
- avocado, chopped, to serve
- queso fresco, crumbled, to serve
- fresh cilantro, chopped, to serve
- tortilla chip, crumbled, to serve
- Calories 865
- Fat 46g
- Carbs 89g
- Fiber 21g
- Sugar 14g
- Protein 18g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Heat olive oil in a large stock-pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat until the oil begins to shimmer.
- Add onions, celery, carrot, and bell pepper. Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add garlic, salt, and pepper, and continue to cook for an additional 10 minutes until vegetables are soft and the onions are translucent.
- Add cumin, black beans, vegetable stock, and the bay leaf. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Cover the pot and cook over low heat for 30 minutes until the beans are very tender.
- Remove the bay leaf. Transfer about 4 cups (900 g) of the soup to a blender and puree until smooth, being careful not to splatter hot soup all over yourself and kitchen.
- Pour blended soup back into the pot and mix to incorporate.
- Keep over low heat until ready to serve. Garnish with fresh avocado, queso fresco, chopped cilantro, and tortilla chips.