Healthy & Hearty Black Bean Soup
This soup is a comforting and filling meal that's perfect for chilly nights at home, and even better leftovers for lunch. The black beans, vegetables, and spices create a flavorful and satisfying dish.
for 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups diced yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 60 oz black beans (1.75 kg), drained and rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable stock (960 mL)
- 1 dried bay leaf
- diced avocado
- crumbled queso fresco
- chopped fresh cilantro
- Calories 361
- Fat 6g
- Carbs 60g
- Fiber 29g
- Sugar 6g
- Protein 20g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat until the oil begins to shimmer. Add the onion, celery, carrot, and bell pepper. Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add salt, pepper, garlic, and jalapeño and continue to cook for an additional 10 minutes, until the vegetables are tender and the onion is translucent.
- Add the cumin, black beans, vegetable stock, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and simmer for 30 minutes, until the beans are very tender.
- Remove the bay leaf. Transfer about 4 cups (900 g) of the soup to a blender and carefully purée until smooth, leaving the top vent of the blender open and covering with a kitchen towel to prevent the soup from splattering.
- Pour the blended soup back into the pot and stir to incorporate. Keep warm over low heat until ready to serve.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with avocado, queso fresco, and cilantro.
- All your favorite recipes, stored in one place. Download the Tasty app and never lose a recipe again.