High-Protein Sweet And Savory Crepes
These high-protein sweet and savory crepes are a scrumptious and versatile breakfast option. The crepes are fluffy and light, while the fillings can be savory or sweet, making either for a perfectly balanced dish that is sure to start your day off right.
for 6 servings
Savory Ratatouille Filling
- ½ cup yellow onion (75 g), thinly sliced
- ½ yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced into 1/4 in (6 mm) pieces
- ½ cup roma tomato (100 g), seeded and diced
- ½ cup zucchini (75 g), diced
- ¾ cup japanese eggplant (270 g), about 1 small - diced
- 2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, plus more for garnish
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- ¼ cup goat cheese (55 g), room temperature
Sweet Crepe Filling
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese (250 g)
- ½ cup strawberry (75 g), finely chopped, plus more for garnish, quartered
- ¼ cup blackberry (35 g), halved, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon honey, plus more for garnish
- whipped cream, for garnish
- 6 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened coconut milk (360 mL), full-fat canned
- ½ cup coconut flour (60 g)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted, plus more for greasing
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Calories 393
- Fat 28g
- Carbs 22g
- Fiber 15g
- Sugar 12g
- Protein 17g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- If making the savory filling, preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C).
- In a large bowl, toss together the onion, bell pepper, tomato, zucchini, eggplant, garlic, olive oil, thyme, salt, and pepper. Spread in an even layer on a large baking sheet.
- Roast the vegetables until they are soft and caramelized, about 18 minutes, flipping halfway through. Set aside to cool.
- When cool enough to handle, pick the garlic from the vegetables and remove the skin. Add to a large bowl and mash into a paste. Add the goat cheese and stir to combine, then add the vegetables and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Use immediately to fill the crepes, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- If making the sweet filling: In a small bowl, stir together the ricotta, strawberries, blackberries, lemon zest, and honey.
- Use immediately to fill crepes, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
- Make the crepes: In a large bowl, combine the eggs, coconut milk, coconut flour, coconut oil, and salt.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the ingredients to form a smooth batter, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Preheat a 9-inch (22 cm) nonstick skillet or crepe pan over medium heat. Add just enough oil to coat the pan, about ½ teaspoon. Swirl the pan to coat evenly.
- Add ½ cup batter to the hot pan and swirl the pan around again until the batter evenly coats the bottom all the way to the edges. Cook for 4-5 minutes, or until the bottom of the crepe is golden brown in spots and the top is completely cooked through with no raw batter on the surface.
- Add ¼ cup of your preferred filling to the top left quarter of the crepe. Using a small spatula or spoon, evenly spread the filling over that section, leaving a ½-inch (1 ¼ cm) border along the outside edge.Fold the bottom half of the crepe over the top half, then fold the right (unfilled) side over the left side to form a triangle. Use a rubber spatula to gently transfer the crepe to a plate. Repeat with the remaining batter and filling.
- Garnish the savory crepes with more thyme and the sweet crepes with whipped cream, quartered strawberries, blackberries, and honey.
- Don't just wing it -- plan it! Use our meal planner tool in the Tasty app. Download here.