88% would make again
featured in Store-Bought Snacks You Can Make At Home
Make your own version of the classic cookie with this recipe. The chocolate cookie is sandwiched with a creamy filling for a delicious treat.
May 05, 2023
for 40 cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter (225 g), softened
- 1 cup white sugar (200 g)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (250 g)
- 1 ¼ cups dark cocoa powder (150 g)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup butter (115 g), softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar (240 g)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Calories 141
- Fat 7g
- Carbs 17g
- Fiber 0g
- Sugar 10g
- Protein 1g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a large bowl, cream together 1 cup (225 grams) of softened butter with the white sugar and salt, until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs until fully incorporated.
- Sieve together the flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda into the mix. Blend well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and mix together until combined.
- Turn the dough out onto your surface and push together into a flat square. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325˚F (160˚C).
- Remove the dough from the fridge, and for ease of rolling out, divide the dough into 4 (this way the dough stays cool longer and prevents the need of re-chilling later on).
- To roll out the dough, place a quarter of the dough between two sheets of parchment paper (alternatively the dough can be rolled out on a lightly floured surface - though the parchment is preferred as it prevents any additional flour from altering the color/appearance of the dark cookies). Roll the dough between the two sheets of parchment to ¼-inch (½ cm) thickness.
- Using a small round cookie cutter (alternatively, we found the rim of a champagne glass to be a perfect size!) cut the dough into individual rounds and place on a large parchment-lined baking sheet, leaving at least ½-inch (1¼ cm) between each cookie.
- Pack together and re-roll out any scraps to cut additional cookies. Repeat with this process with each remaining ¼ of the dough.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 15 minutes. If baking multiple trays at the same time, be sure to rotate the pans in the oven halfway through. Remove and transfer cookies to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- To make the filling, combine ½ cup (115 grams) butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a medium mixing bowl. Beat together until light and fluffy.
- Assemble the cookies by spreading a generous scoop of the icing onto one of the cookies and sandwiching it with another. Give it a light squeeze and scrape any excess off to clear and even out the sides.
- Serve with a glass of milk.