92% would make again
Homemade "Pop Tarts"
featured in Store-Bought Snacks You Can Make At Home
June 10, 2019
for 4 tarts
- 1 box puff pastry, pie dough makes them more pop tart like, but we like the puff pastry better
- strawberry jam
- raspberry jam
- blueberry jam
- 1 egg
- milk, some
- 2 cups powdered sugar (320 g)
- ¼ cup low fat milk (59 mL)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- food coloring, of choice
- Calories 644
- Fat 25g
- Carbs 99g
- Fiber 0g
- Sugar 70g
- Protein 6g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Cut puff pastry along fold lines and then in half, making 6 rectangular pieces.
- Coat edges of one section of pastry with egg wash (egg and milk whisked).
- Place desired amount of filling (we used equal parts of each jam) in the center and spread, leaving room on the edges.
- Then place a second piece of puff pastry on top, Push the edges of the two pastry pieces together with your fingers and then press with a fork to seal.
- Bake on wax paper at 190°C (375°F) for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown and puffy.
- For icing, mix all ingredients together. Add additional milk or sugar to achieve desired consistency. Apply to slightly cooked pastries.