94% would make again
Honey Roasted BBQ Pork (Char Siu)
featured in 8 Delicious Recipes For Pork Lovers
for 2 servings
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine, also known as shaoxing
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons ground five spice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 piece fresh ginger, sliced 2 in (5 cm)
- 2 tablespoons bean curd
- ¼ cup bean curd liquid (60 mL)
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce (65 g)
- ½ cup honey (170 g)
- 2 lb boneless pork shoulder (905 g)
- 1 cup white rice (230 g), cooked, for serving
- 2 large bok choys, steamed, for serving
- In a large bowl, combine the soy sauce, Shaoxing, sesame oil, five spice, salt, garlic, ginger, bean curd, bean curd liquid, hoisin, and honey.
- Place the pork into the marinate, turn to coat completely, and cover with cling wrap.
- Marinate for at least 3 hours, or preferably overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 300°F (150°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set a wire rack on top.
- Transfer the pork shoulder from the marinade to the wire rack.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes until the edges are slightly charred.
- Pour the marinade through a strainer into a medium pot.
- Heat the marinade on medium heat until it reduces to ¼ of its original volume, about 10 minutes.
- Glaze the pork with the reduced marinade every 15 minutes.
- When the pork is done, slice and serve with white rice and bok choy.