Hot Buttered Rum Biscuits As Made By Meiko
Sweet, salty, buttery, and a little boozy! These hot buttered rum biscuits are perfect to cozy up with on a crisp fall day.
November 16, 2020
for 12 biscuits
- 3 cups all purpose flour (375 g), plus more for dusting
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ cup butter-flavored vegetable shortening (60 g), plus 2 tablespoons, chilled, divided
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, frozen
- 1 ¼ cups buttermilk (300 mL), chilled
Hot Buttered Rum Sauce
- 1 cup dark brown sugar (200 g)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup spiced dark rum (120 mL), divided, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Calories 206
- Fat 2g
- Carbs 41g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 14g
- Protein 4g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Make the biscuits: Preheat the oven 450°F (230°C). Line a baking sheet with foil.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar until well combined.
- Cut ¼ cup (60 g) of the shortening into small pieces. Add to the dry ingredients and work into the flour with your hands or a fork until the mixture is crumbly in texture. Grate the frozen butter with a box grater, then fold into the dry ingredients.
- Create a well in the center of the bowl. Pour in the buttermilk and use a rubber spatula to fold until combined and the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Lightly flour your surface and hands, then turn the dough out onto the surface and knead 3–4 times, until the dough comes together. Use a floured rolling pin to roll dough into an 8-inch square rectangle about 1 inch high. Fold the dough over itself twice and roll out again. Repeat folding and rolling 3 more times, rotating the dough 90° each time.
- Use a 2-inch (5 cm) round cutter to cut out 12–15 biscuits, gathering any scraps and folding/rolling again to cut out more. Place the biscuits on the prepared baking sheet.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of shortening, then brush over the top of each biscuit.
- Bake the biscuits for 12–13 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, make the hot buttered rum sauce: In a medium saucepan, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, and ½ cup rum. Bring to a strong boil over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce reduces and thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, until melted. Stir in the salt and remaining 2 tablespoons of rum.
- Pour the sauce over the biscuits and serve warm.