How To Make Vegan Pho
Warm up your soul with this aromatic Vegan Pho, a delightful twist on the classic Vietnamese noodle soup. Packed with flavorful spices and fresh veggies, this comforting dish will leave you craving more!
for 6 servings
- 20 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 4 medium white onions, tops and bottoms cut off, peeled, halved crosswise
- 1 large daikon radish, peeled and cut into 1-inch- (2 1/4-cm) thick rounds
- 1 6-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled, sliced into coins
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 3 cups oyster mushrooms (225 g), sliced into 2-inch (5-cm) pieces
- 12 cups water (2.8 L)
- kosher salt, to taste
- 1 cinnamon stick, or piece of cassia bark
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 5 cardamom pods
- 5 star anises
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 14 oz soft tofu (400 g), drained and sliced into 1-inch (2-cm) pieces, or fried tofu, sliced
- cooked rice stick noodle
- sliced red onion
- 1 cup bean sprouts (100 g), washed well
- 1 thinly sliced chile pepper
- Lime wedge
- fresh cilantro leaf
- Calories 231
- Fat 5g
- Carbs 39g
- Fiber 8g
- Sugar 15g
- Protein 11g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Add the dried shiitake mushrooms to a medium bowl and pour in enough water to cover. Cover with a dish towel and let hydrate for 8 hours, then rinse and drain the mushrooms 2-3 times. Set aside.
- In a large pan over medium heat, dry sear the onions until caramelized on both sides, 10-15 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and repeat with the daikon radish and ginger. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in the pan. Add the oyster mushrooms and sauté until browned and caramelized, 6-8 minutes.
- Add the caramelized onions, daikon, ginger, oyster mushrooms, and soaked shiitake mushrooms to a large stock pot. Add the water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low heat and cover. Simmer for at least 1 hour, or up to 8 hours. The longer it cooks, the stronger the flavor of the broth will be. Season with salt to taste.
- About 30 minutes before serving, combine the cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamom, star anise, coriander, and fennel in a fine-mesh sieve. Lower into the pot, resting the sieve on the edge, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the spices and add the tofu to heat through, 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Remove the onions, daikon, and ginger from the pot. (Slice and add them back to the soup, if desired.)
- Add the noodles to serving bowls and ladle in the broth, mushrooms, and tofu.
- Garnish with red onion, bean sprouts, chile peppers, a squeeze of lime, and cilantro.
- Love this recipe? Download the Tasty app to save it and discover others like it.