98% would make again
Huevos Rancheros-ish Bake
featured in Tasty Inspired Recipes From Mexico
A breakfast casserole with layers of tortillas, beans, eggs, and cheese, baked until bubbly and golden brown.
May 15, 2023
for 6 servings
- 1 cup vegetable oil (240 mL)
- 5 corn tortillas, cut 4 of them in half
- 14 oz black beans (395 g), 1 can
- 1 cup mexican blend cheese (100 g)
- 1 ½ cups pico de gallo (300 g)
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup red enchilada sauce (120 mL)
For Toppings (Optional)
- fresh cilantro, to taste
- cotija cheese, to taste
- 1 cup cream mexicana (230 g), or sour cream
- Calories 661
- Fat 54g
- Carbs 26g
- Fiber 6g
- Sugar 3g
- Protein 18g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat your oven to 375˚F (190˚C)
- In vegetable oil, lightly fry your corn tortillas. Drain on a paper towel.
- In a 9 inch (25cm) cast iron skillet, arrange your lightly fried tortillas so they cover the bottom of the skillet.
- Add black beans evenly over tortillas. (Some will fall in-between the tortillas, thats ok!)
- Sprinkle Mexican blend cheese over the black beans.
- Add pico de gallo on top of the cheese.
- Using the back of a large spoon, create 6 wells in the pico de gallo for the eggs to rest in.
- Crack one egg into each well (6 wells for 6 eggs).
- Pour enchilada sauce over everything!
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Check on it often to make sure your yolks don’t overcook!
- Top with your favorite huevos rancheros toppings.