97% would make again
This hummingbird cake is a typical Southern delight, with a moist, tender crumb packed with juicy pineapple, ripe bananas, and crunchy pecans, all topped with a fluffy cream cheese frosting.
May 05, 2023
for 8 servings
- 3 cups all purpose flour (375 g)
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pecan (125 g), chopped
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2 cups granulated sugar (400 g)
- 20 oz diced pineapple (565 g), 1 can, drained
- 1 cup canola oil (240 mL)
- 3 large eggs
- 16 oz cream cheese (455 g)
- 4 oz unsalted butter (115 g)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 cups powdered sugar (720 g)
- ½ cup pecan (60 g), chopped, for decorating
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and line two 10-inch (25 cm) spring form pans with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and pecan. Whisk well.
- In a separate large bowl, mash the bananas until smooth. Add the sugar, pineapple, oil, and eggs, and whisk until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in two additions. Whisk to combine.
- Divide the cake batter between the prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the middle of the cakes comes out clean.
- Make the frosting: In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the butter, vanilla, salt and salt and whisk to combine. Add the powdered sugar and stir until smooth.
- Release the cakes from the springform pans and remove the parchment paper.
- Add a dollop of frosting to the center of cake stand and line with parchment paper.
- Place a layer of Hummingbird Cake on the cake stand. Spread ⅓ of the frosting over the top of the cake. Top with the other cake layer and spread with another layer of frosting. Use the remaining frosting to cover the sides of the cake, then run a bench scraper around the sides to clean off excess frosting.
- Decorate the border of the cake with chopped pecans.
- Slice and serve.