Instant Pot Beef Chili
Classic chili comes together in under an hour in the Instant Pot. Use the sauté function to brown the aromatics and meat, then pressure cook to meld and build that long-simmered flavor. No chili is complete without the toppings--we love sour cream, shredded cheese, and cilantro!
for 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1 lb ground beef (455 g)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ cup tomato paste (55 g)
- 1 can whole peeled tomato
- 1 can kidney bean, drained and rinsed
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock (360 mL)
- shredded cheddar cheese, for serving
- fresh cilantro, roughly chopped, for serving
- sour cream, for serving
- Calories 599
- Fat 37g
- Carbs 30g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugar 9g
- Protein 33g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Set the Instant Pot to sauté and add the olive oil. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the onion and cook, stirring often, until starting to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and jalapeño and cook, stirring frequently, until aromatic, 1 minute.
- Add the ground beef and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until browned and cooked through, about 7 minutes. Add the salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, chili powder, and tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, until combined, 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and use a potato masher to break up, then add the kidney beans and chicken stock. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set to pressure cook on high for 20 minutes. Once the timer goes off, set the Instant Pot to quick release.
- Serve the chili with shredded cheddar cheese, cilantro, and sour cream.