Instant Pot Birria Tacos
Dive into the world of flavor with these Instant Pot Birria Tacos! Tender, juicy, and packed with a punch, these tacos are perfect for a fun and delicious weeknight dinner.
for 4 servings
- 4 guajillo chiles, dried
- 2 dried ancho chiles
- 1 dried new mexico chile
- 4 dried chiles de arbol pepper
- 3 lb boneless short ribs (1.2 kg)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 ½ tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 medium white onion, thinly sliced
- 8 garlics, roughly chopped
- 3 McCormick® Dried Bay Leaves
- 1 whole cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Whole Black Peppercorns
- 3 teaspoons McCormick® dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons Mccormick® ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Coriander
- ¼ teaspoon McCormick® Ground Cloves
- 1 piece fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 cups beef stock (910 mL)
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Chihuahua (200 g)
- ½ cup white onion (75 g), diced
- ½ cup fresh cilantro (20 g), chopped
- Calories 1485
- Fat 68g
- Carbs 118g
- Fiber 40g
- Sugar 26g
- Protein 87g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
This recipe isn’t available to shop.
Unfortunately, not all our recipes can be shopped through Tasty.
- Remove the stems and seeds from the guajillo, ancho, New Mexico, and arbol chiles.
- Season the short ribs with salt and pepper.
- Set the Instant Pot to Sauté mode. Add the chiles and toast until aromatic, 6–8 minutes. Remove from the Instant Pot.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in the Instant Pot until shimmering. Working in batches, add the short ribs and sear on each side for 4 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the pot.
- Add the remaining ½ tablespoon vegetable oil to the Instant Pot. Once shimmering, add the onion and garlic and sauté until softened, about 8 minutes. Stir frequently with a wooden spoon, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Add the McCormick® Dried Bay Leaves, cinnamon stick, McCormick® Whole Black Peppercorns, McCormick® Dried Oregano, McCormick® Ground Cumin, McCormick® Ground Coriander, McCormick® Ground Cloves, ginger, and tomato paste. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, or until combined. Add the apple cider vinegar and beef stock.
- Return the chiles and short ribs to the pot, making sure they are completely submerged in the stock. Secure the lid, making sure the vent is closed. Select “Cancel” to disable sauté mode, then set the Instant Pot to pressure cook on high for 1 hour.
- Once the timer goes off, release the vent. It will take approximately 15 minutes for all the steam to be released. Remove the lid, discard the bay leaves and cinnamon stick, and transfer the beef to a large bowl. Shred the meat with 2 forks.
- Transfer the chiles and half of the braising liquid to a blender. Blend on medium speed until smooth. Pour the blended liquid back into the pot. Add the shredded beef, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Make the tacos: Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, dip a tortilla in the birria broth to coat, then transfer to the skillet and cook until toasted, about 2 minutes per side. Add Chihuahua or mozzarella cheese and shredded beef to one side of the tortilla. Close the tortilla and continue cooking for 2 minutes more, or until the cheese has melted.
- Garnish the tacos with onion and cilantro. Serve with the birria broth alongside for dipping.