96% would make again
Instant Pot Summer Corn And Bacon Soup
featured in These Corn Recipes Are A-Maize-Ing
This light summer vegetable chowder is a breeze to make in the Instant Pot. Sprinkle on the bacon right before you eat so it stays crispy.
August 03, 2019
for 6 servings
- 4 slices thick cut bacon, cut into ½-inch (1 1/4 cm) strips
- 10 oz white onion (285 g), diced
- kosher salt, to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pinch cayenne, optional
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken stock (960 mL)
- 1 ¼ cups red potato (565 g), chopped
- 4 large ears fresh yellow corn kernels
- 1 cup red bell pepper (100 g), diced
- ¾ cup heavy cream (180 g)
- fresh chive, chopped, for garnish
- Calories 876
- Fat 54g
- Carbs 95g
- Fiber 7g
- Sugar 24g
- Protein 9g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Turn the Instant Pot to sauté mode and set the time for 20 minutes. Add bacon to the pot and cook until crispy and the fat has rendered, stirring occasionally to prevent burning, 10–12 minutes. Transfer the bacon to a baking sheet or plate lined with paper towels and set aside until ready to serve. Leave the rendered fat behind in the pot.
- To the Instant Pot, add the onion and season with salt. Sauté for 3 minutes, until translucent. Add the garlic and cayenne, if using, and sauté for 2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Whisk in the flour, making sure to break up any clumps. Cook for 3 minutes, until the flour is light golden in color. Turn off sauté mode by pressing cancel.
- Pour in the chicken stock to deglaze the pot, scraping the bottom with a wooden spoon to loosen any browned bits. Add the potatoes and corn.
- Secure the lid of the Instant Pot and set the valve to sealing. Select pressure cooking and set the timer for 10 minutes. Manually release the pressure from the Instant Pot after the cooking time has elapsed and let vent naturally for 15 minutes. Be careful when releasing the valve, as hot steam will come out. Remove the lid of the Instant Pot carefully, as the soup will be very hot.
- Stir in the red bell pepper and heavy cream.
- Ladle the warm soup into bowls and top with the bacon and chives.