96% would make again
Italian-Style Bolognese (Ragù)
featured in Pork Recipes From Around The World
Experience the rich flavors of Italy with this Italian-Style Bolognese Ragu that'll transport your taste buds straight to the heart of Bologna. This hearty, meaty sauce is perfect for cozying up with a bowl of pasta and a glass of red wine.
May 05, 2023
for 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup butter (50 g)
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 4 oz pancetta (100 g), diced
- 7 oz lean beef (200 g), minced
- 5 ⅓ oz lean pork (150 g), minced
- ¾ cup red wine (200 mL)
- 2 tablespoons double concentrated tomato puree
- 2 cups chicken stock (500 mL)
- 2 cups tagliatelle (400 g), cooked
- parmesan cheese, grated
- Calories 887
- Fat 37g
- Carbs 98g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugar 9g
- Protein 40g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, and pancetta. Cook for around 10 minutes until the onions start to look translucent.
- Add the minced meats and brown all over, ensuring the meat is fully broken up and no large chunks remain.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Increase the heat, add the wine, and allow to evaporate for around 2-3 minutes.
- In a large jug, dilute the tomato puree into the chicken stock and add to the pan, stir well.
- Reduce to a low heat, then cover and simmer for 2 hours. Check from time to time to ensure the sauce is not drying out. If this occurs, add a small amount of stock.
- Cook desired pasta and toss in the bolognese.
- Top with parmesan cheese and serve.