Italian Sub Pasta Salad
Inspired by the classic Italian deli sandwich, this pasta salad is meaty, tangy, and salty in all the best ways. A selection of your favorite deli meats are tossed with a vinegar-heavy dressing, along with crisp iceberg lettuce and creamy mozzarella and Provolone cheeses. Various pickles give the salad some punch, and it’s all topped with crushed potato chips for the complete Italian deli experience.
for 6 servings
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ice water, for soaking onion
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar (60 mL), plus more for serving
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon spicy mustard
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup good-quality extra-virgin olive oil (60 mL), plus more as needed
- 8 oz pasta of choice (225 g), cooked al dente, drained, and cooled
- 4 oz sliced coppa (105 g), sliced
- 4 oz sliced prosciutto (105 g)
- 4 oz sliced good-quality mortadella (105 g)
- 4 oz thinly sliced Provolone cheese (105 g)
- 4 oz thinly sliced fresh mozzarella cheese (105 g), seasoned lightly with salt
- 1 pt cherry tomatoes (473 g), halved and seasoned lightly with salt
- ½ cup giardiniera (70 g), thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup pickled pepperoncinis (50 g), thinly sliced
- ½ head iceberg lettuce, thinly sliced
- torn fresh basil leaf, to taste
- Crushed salt and vinegar potato chip, (optional), for garnish
- Calories 411
- Fat 27g
- Carbs 18g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 3g
- Protein 22g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Add the red onion to a medium bowl of ice water for 5–10 minutes, then drain and pat dry.
- Make the dressing: In a medium bowl, whisk together the red wine vinegar, mayonnaise, mustard. oregano, salt, and pepper until smooth. While whisking, slowly stream in the olive oil until emulsified. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss the pasta with about two-thirds of the dressing. Add the coppa, prosciutto, mortadella, Provolone, mozzarella, red onion, tomatoes, giardiniera, and pepperoncinis and toss again to combine, adding more dressing as needed.
- Just before serving, add the iceberg lettuce, a few dashes of red wine vinegar, and a generous amount of basil and toss one last time. Top individual servings with crushed potato chips (so the chips don’t get soggy), if desired.
- Don't let a good recipe slip away. Download the Tasty app and save your favorites for easy access.