Jasmine’s Snack Board
This board is packed with some of my favorite foods from growing up! Spam musubi, sushi, dumplings, and scallion pancakes were often packed in my lunchboxes, alongside delicious store-bought snacks, like prawn crackers, Choco pie, mochi, and Hello Panda cookies. Finally, no meal is complete without my favorite sweets, ranging from fruits to cakes to yogurt drinks. This is my childhood on a grazing board!
for 4 servings
- 2 cups canola oil (480 mL), for frying
- 1 box prawn-flavored chips
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ½ can Spam®, halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar, plus 2 teaspoons, divided
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 ⅓ cups sushi rice (265 g), cooked
- 4 strips nori, 2 in ( 5 cm)
- canola oil, for greasing
- 2 cups sushi rice (400 g), cooked, seasoned with 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar
- 8 pieces imitation crab
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 small cucumber, cut into machsticks
- 4 sheets sushi-grade nori, 8½ x 7½
- 1 package pan-fried dumplings, 24 ounce (700 G)
- 2 cups garlic edamame (320 g)
- 4 scallion pancakes, cut into triangles
- 1 large red dragon fruit, peeled and diced
- 4 pineapple cakes
- 4 probiotic yogurt drinks
- 8 pieces assorted mochi
- 1 loaf mujigae-tteok loaf, sliced
- 2 strawberry flavored Hello Panda cookies, 9 ounce (260 grams)
- 4 choco pies
- 1 cara cara orange, large, sliced
- 2 Mandarin orange slices
- 1 large asian pear, sliced
- Make the prawn crackers: Heat the oil in a large heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat until the temperature reaches 325°F (160°C). Line a plate with paper towels and set nearby.
- Place 8–10 chips in a slotted spoon or spider. Gently lower them into the hot oil and stir gently. As the chips begin to float to the surface, quickly remove from the oil before they scorch or burn. Carefully shake off any excess oil, and then place on the lined plate. Continue frying the remaining chips.
- Make the spam musubi: Heat the canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the Spam and cook for 2–3 minutes per side, until golden brown and crispy.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the water, soy sauce, and 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Reduce the heat to low and pour the soy sauce mixture into the skillet. Cook until the sauce is bubbly and thick and coats the Spam evenly, turning as needed, about 5 minutes total. Remove the pan from the heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining 2 teaspoons sugar, salt, and vinegar. Add the cooked sushi rice and stir to combine.
- Lay a strip of nori, shiny side down, on a clean surface. Place the box of the musubi press on top. Add ⅓ cup of the seasoned rice to the box and press down with the plunger. Lay a piece of Spam on top of the rice and press down firmly. Lift the box to release the Spam and rice. Wrap the nori around the stack, using a wet finger to seal the nori.
- Make the California rolls: Lightly grease the inner chamber of a sushi bazooka with canola oil.
- Add ½ cup of the seasoned sushi rice to each half of the inner chamber and use the plunger to create a divot down the length of each side of rice. Arrange half of the crab, avocado, and cucumber in a horizontal row on one side of the rice. Carefully close the bazooka.
- Lay a piece of nori, shiny side down, on the sushi mat. Turn the plunger 5 times, then firmly press to release the roll onto one end of the nori. Tightly roll the nori around the rice to completely encase the roll. Transfer the roll to a cutting board. Rub a knife on a damp paper towel before slicing the roll crosswise into 6 equal pieces. Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make another roll.
- Assemble the board: Place the prawn crackers, musubi, and California rolls in the center of a turntable. Arrange the pan-fried dumplings, garlic edamame, scallion pancakes, dragonfruit, pineapple cakes, probiotic yogurt drinks, mochi, mujigae-tteok, Hello Panda cookies, Choco pies, Cara Cara and Mandarin oranges, and Asian pears around the edges.
- Love this recipe? Download the Tasty app to save it and discover others like it.