Jill Biden’s Chicken Parmesan
for 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 cans whole peeled tomato, 28 oz.
- ¼ cup fresh basil (10 g), roughly chopped
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ cups seasoned italian bread crumbs (170 g)
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese (25 g)
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese (25 g)
- 2 lb skinless, boneless chicken breasts (910 g), butterflied and pounded to ¼-inch (6 mm) thick
- olive oil, for frying
- 1 ¾ cups grated mozzarella cheese (175 g)
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese (50 g)
- fresh basil
- rigatoni, cooked
- italian bread
- Calories 631
- Fat 25g
- Carbs 32g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugar 7g
- Protein 66g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Make the marinara sauce: In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook until the onion is soft and translucent, 3–5 minutes. Drain one can of tomatoes, discarding the liquid. Add the drained and full remaining can of tomatoes and salt. Using a wooden spoon or potato masher, break up the tomatoes. Then simmer for 20 minutes. Turn off the heat, remove the garlic cloves, and stir in the basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- While the sauce is simmering, make the chicken: Set out 2 8-inch (20 cm) square baking dishes. In one dish, whisk together the eggs, milk, and salt. In the other dish, mix the bread crumbs with the Parmesan and mozzarella. Using one hand, coat the chicken in the egg mixture. Gently shake off the excess egg, then transfer to the bread crumb mixture. Use your other hand to coat the chicken evenly on both sides, pressing the breading to adhere. Set on a baking sheet and repeat with remaining chicken.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Set a baking sheet with a wire rack on top nearby. Add 1–2 pieces of chicken to the hot oil, being careful not to overcrowd the pan. Cook until golden brown on both sides, flipping once, about 5 minutes total. Transfer the cooked chicken on the wire rack to drain. Wipe out the skillet, add more olive oil as needed, and repeat with remaining chicken.
- Spread a thin layer of marinara sauce in the bottom of a 9x13-inch (22 x 33 cm) baking dish. Arrange half of the chicken in a single layer over the sauce and top with half of the mozzarella. Add another layer of sauce and top with the remaining chicken, followed by the remaining mozzarella. Finish with a layer of sauce and top with the Parmesan.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbling, 20–30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken Parmesan from the oven and let sit for a few minutes before serving. Top with freshly torn basil, if desired, and serve with rigatoni, salad, and Italian bread alongside.