Kale, Sweet Potato, and Onion Frittata
This flavorful frittata is loaded with healthy veggies and bursting with flavor! Made with tender kale, sweet potatoes, and onions, this dish is perfect for a hearty breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Under 30 minutes
Under 30 minutes
for 2 servings
- 7 large egg whites
- large egg yolk
- 1 small sweet potato, cut in ½-inch (1 cm) cubes
- 1 cup water (235 mL)
- 1 small yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt, to taste
- ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups kale leaves (200 g), chopped, ribs and stems removed
- ½ blood orange, or ½ a small navel orange
- Calories 637
- Fat 28g
- Carbs 60g
- Fiber 8g
- Sugar 20g
- Protein 37g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C).
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric hand mixer until soft peaks form.
- Add the egg yolks and gently fold with a rubber spatula until incorporated. Refrigerate while you cook the vegetables.
- In a large, nonstick, oven-safe skillet, combine the sweet potato and water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the water has evaporated and the sweet potato is soft on the outside, about 8 minutes.
- Add the onion, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Increase the heat to medium and cook, stirring often, until the onion starts to soften, about 1 minute.
- Add the chopped kale and cook, stirring often, until the kale is wilted and dark green, about 2 minutes more.
- Spread the vegetables evenly over the bottom of the skillet, then pour the egg mixture on top and spread in an even layer.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and bake until the frittata is puffed, cooked through, and very lightly browned on top, 5–6 minutes.
- Let the frittata cool in the skillet for 5 minutes, then flip it onto a cutting board and cut in half.
- Cut the frittata into wedges, then serve with orange slices. Let any leftovers cool completely, then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Cook smarter, not harder. Use our AI chef Botatouille on the Tasty app. Download now.