featured in Get Plenty Of Protein Without Meat Or Dairy
Lentil soup is a delicious and hearty meal that's perfect for a cold day. Loaded with protein and fiber, it will leave you feeling satisfied and warm.
May 04, 2023
96% would make again
for 5 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 2 cups dried lentils (400 g)
- 8 cups vegetable broth (1.8 L)
- 15 oz diced tomatoes (425 g)
- 1 dried bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until semi-translucent, 3–5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes, until fragrant. Add the carrots and potatoes and sauté for 3 minutes, until starting to soften.
- Stir in the lentils, vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, bay leaf, and cumin and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 35–40 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.
- Remove the bay leaf, then season the soup with salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and serve warm, or let cool completely and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Love this recipe? Download the Tasty app to save it and discover others like it.